Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day-Harvest Moon

Here's Cover #2 of the Series.

Each performer in the 2009 Peak Performance Project had to jump through the hoop of performing a cover of a Canadian song at their showcase. The task as far as the competition was concerned was most likely meaningless, but the process of learning and reworking the song was for us quite invigorating and educational. We of course took our sweet time deciding what we were going to play. The problem was nobody could agree on a song that we all liked and that we could put our own spin on.

About a week and a half before the competition Josh and I were meeting up with an old friend of ours who now performs under the name Brigs at an open mic at Darby's on 4th and MacDonald. At some point a gentleman got up and played Harvest Moon by Neil Young. To be honest, I'd never really liked the song that much (even when Mr. Young himself had performed it), but at that moment I heard so much potential in the song. In the coming days as I listened to live versions of Neil Young performing the song on Youtube I slowly started to understand why the song is so timeless. Simply, the song is a masterpiece. I hope I can do it justice for you.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a masterpiece! Always been a fav of mine, and you bring a fresh take while keeping true to the roots. Fresh Roots! Awesome Dom.

    ReplyDelete