Friday, June 4, 2010

The Creamer Shootout

I was mid-practice a couple of Fridays ago when I noticed that I'd just missed a call from a very dear friend of mine. Shawn Cole, or Doctor Boss as we like to call him, had left me a fairly vague message about him having an opportunity...errr favour to ask of me. Plainly put, the Boss had an opportunity in which the outcome would be mutually beneficial for the both of us. Hearing this I wasted not a second to call him back. Heck, seeing his name on my missed calls list is enough reason for me to hurriedly call him back. Boss is a very busy man with a wife, a beautiful child and a list of recording gigs that span from producing Bend Sinister and Yukon Blonde to teaching at Garth Richardson's audio engineering school 'Nimbus'.

Apparently, Boss' studio Fader Master was hosting a pre-amp shoot out and they wanted me to be their guinea pig. For those of you who are a bit lost as to what that is, fear not so was I. Let's just say a pre-amp is a piece of recording equipment and Boris, a good friend of Fader Master's, had invented his own that he now wished to test up against the other pre-amps at the studio. (I have some understanding of what a pre-amp does, but i fear that my explanation would be wrought with errors and if you had no knowledge of pre-amps you would now have an incorrect understanding. and we wouldn't want that now would we)

My task was thus to play the same song over and over and over again so they could hear the same song through each pre-amp and especially the "Creamer", Boris' invention.

I benefited because I was able to record a new demo, so why don't we take a listen. The lovely crew at Fader Master have posted my new demo "Don't Forget Me" at their website which you can find here. Just scroll to the bottom and you'll see four different songs, one of which is mine.

Enjoy,

For more music and info:

No comments:

Post a Comment